Sunday, April 1, 2007

Here comes the sun

We're finally getting some of that good old sunshine over in London! Yesterday was absolutely beautiful and for once, I did not feel obliged to carry my umbrella with me! My roommate Kelly and I took full advantage of the day. Our goal was to get down by the River Thames to eat our lunch (which we packed ourselves...yum!) and go on to the Clink Prison Museum. On our way over there we happened to stumble upon an outdoor food market. And what a market!!! There were so many people and so much interesting food! The best part of the market were the free samples at some of the stalls. All of the prices were really cheap as well which added yet another bonus! After winding our way through the maze of people and delicious smells for quite some time, we finally made our way to the riverside with a few goodies (cheap, I might add!) to supplement our lunch.

After stuffing ourselves on homemade and market goodness, we headed over to the Clink Prison Museum. Now, for those of you who are not familiar with the history of the Clink, it was the first female prison in 1247 and the first male prison in 1306...so says the inscription on the wall! Kelly and I learned about all of the unfortunate people that fell prisoners to the Clink. We also learned about the many torture devices used on both men and women. For some strange reason, they seemed to give women the harsher treatment simply because they were, well, women. Isn't that odd...women being repressed by society? Such an odd concept (hint of extreme sarcasm in the voice).

After going through the Clink, Kelly and I parted ways, and I headed over to the Tate Modern. Despite the hoards of people taking up precious space, I absolutely loved the Tate Modern! I wandered around for a couple of hours, listening to my iPod! I made it through the Thom Yorke solo album and Radiohead's Hail to the Theif album (can you tell I'm on a Radiohead streak?). Listening to music was nice because it almost made me forget/ignore the annoying people surrounding me. I swear, there is proper museum etiquette that most people just choose to disregard! Despite that, I had a really great time and I even got to walk across the Millennium Bridge!

In other news: One of my supervisors at my internship gave me the task of writing a 10 page literature review about community involvement in community sentencing! YES!

1 comment:

Parental Units said...

Happy Sunday, happy April. Sounds like the month is off to a good start for you. The market sounded great -- share some details. What sorts of completely unusual, never-to-be-seen again stuff did you find? We need fuel to feed our imaginations, since there's no market here until next month.

Love ya